Global Wellness Counselor Required: (Part-time) – NYU London
The position is to provide mental health support at NYU London for two days (14 clinical hours) per week, on Thursdays and a 2nd weekday to be agreed, for 11 months of the year.
The post holder reports to NYUL’s Wellness Counsellor and will otherwise collaborate with New York-based colleagues as required; for other duties and administration the post-holder reports to the Associate Director of NYUL.
The post holder has responsibility for providing on-site, mental health support and counselling to members of the NYU London community (approximately 500 undergraduate and graduate students during the academic semesters).
The post holder works closely both with NYUL colleagues, including the full-time Wellness Counsellor, and colleagues based at NYU in New York.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide clinical assessment, short-term psychotherapy, and crisis intervention to students who are studying at NYUL;
- Clinical work will be in areas such as depression, anxiety, suicidal ideation, acculturation stress, acute stress, culture shock, bipolar disorder, students exhibiting psychotic symptoms, interpersonal conflict, substance abuse, PTSD, decision-making, eating disorders, etc.;
- Refer students to other/external health care providers, as needed;
- The post holder will be specially trained to know all the processes at NYU and help students navigate their options and services on campus;
- Maintain confidential written records of all counselling contacts with students on the NYU Student Health Centre electronic health record;
- Conduct assessments of student mental health issues and provide support regarding physical health concerns. Facilitate student navigation of the local health care system, including hospitals, clinics, and insurance companies;
- Collaborate with NYU and local administrators, physicians, and mental health professionals to provide appropriate health resources and support for individual cases;
- Contribute to, and present at, student orientation, arrivals week, and wellness events;
- Support staff and Faculty awareness and training on student wellness matters and initiatives.
The post holder may also be called upon to:
- Coordinate support for physical health issues.
- Work with other professionals at NYUL who are responsible for other aspects of student health.
- Provide group psychotherapy to students who are studying at NYUL;
- Carry out a risk assessment of a high risk student;
- Be a visible source of support to the student community; and
- Assist the Site Director and Associate Director of NYUL as requested for the successful running of the programmes.
- Applicants must have a relevant academic degree and must hold the proper license or accreditation to legally provide counselling services in the UK, e.g., BACP, UKCP, HCPC, BPS.
- Accepted degrees include an M.A. or Ph.D. in Social Work, Counselling or Psychotherapy, or a Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Clinical or Counselling Psychology.
- University counselling experience is preferred, and knowledge of the U.S. university system is desirable.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding and empathy with needs and expectations of international students.
- Ability to gather and report information accurately, clearly and concisely.
- Team player.
- Strong organisational ability.
- Computer literate with good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent written & oral skills.