Counsellor Required: Birmingham, West Midlands
|Salary:||£36,072 to £39,209 per annum|
|Posted On:||Wednesday 13 July 2022|
|Closing Date:||Wednesday 27 July 2022|
|Interview Date:||Tuesday 16 August 2022|
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Team at Birmingham City University provides mental health advice, wellbeing advice and counselling & CBT to current students at the university. We are seeking an experienced Counsellor to join our friendly and dedicated team. At the university we use a One-at-a-Time (OAAT) model of counselling meaning that students can choose when they book their next appointment with their counsellor. You will also have some capacity to undertake a small amount of longer term counselling work.
As part of a large team of colleagues, you will report to the Head of Mental Health and Wellbeing Operations. You will be responsible for arranging your diary to offer a mixture of assessment and ongoing appointments which students can access. You will also be required to attend team meetings and engage in clinical supervision. Our team is responsible for safeguarding of students and you will be required to be part of a rota system to answer queries and respond to concerns raised by other students and staff members.
The primary responsibilities of this role are:
- Assess the needs of individual students and, where appropriate, refer and liaise with internal services and external agencies.
- Offer ongoing counselling sessions to clients.
- Manage the resulting caseload with the on-going support of an external Supervisor and, when appropriate, the Head of Mental Health and Wellbeing Operations.
- Be available for liaison and consultation with colleagues, both within Student Governance, Mental Health and Wellbeing and the University as a whole.
- Be part of the duty rota system by responding to urgent student queries and concerns ensuring that the university adheres to its safeguarding responsibilities.
- Participate in the development of initiatives and the delivery of therapy in relation to the student audience, i.e. group work.
- Keep accurate and confidential records and session case notes as required by data protection and in line with BACP ethical framework.
The key requirements for the role are:
- A counselling qualification which meets the theory and skills training criteria for BACP accreditation (or for accreditation by UKCP or BPS);
- Educated to degree level or equivalent;
- Significant experience of working as a paid counsellor in a formal counselling setting.
- Experience of managing a significant caseload and accurate record keeping.
- Accreditation by BACP, UKCP or BPS is desirable;
- Working as a Counsellor with students in HE settings is desirable;
- Experience of working with a time-limited approach is desirable;
WhereToTalk provides UK Counselling Job Opportunities /Psychotherapy Job Opportunities, Text Therapy, Trainee/Student Placements, The Counselling Online Guide, Counselling Consultations, Gift Cards and Therapy Room Décor for:
LONDON & GREATER LONDON
MIDLANDS (West /East)
NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE / TYNE & WEAR
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE/NOTTS – EAST MIDLANDS
YORKSHIRE (North / South / East / West)