Psycho-oncology counsellor/psychotherapist: Basingstoke, Hampshire
Site: Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
Salary: £32,306 – £39,027 Depending on experience/subject to banding outcome
Salary period: Yearly
Closing: 28/06/2022 23:59
Grade: NHS AfC: Band 6
Contract: Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time
- Part time
- Job share
- Flexible working
37.5 hours per week
Job ref: 251-SURG9031-GC
To deliver inpatient and outpatient counselling/ psychotherapy to patients referred to the psycho-oncology service.
To provide therapy to those experiencing mild to moderate distress (Level 3 NICE 2004 guidelines) related to their cancer diagnosis in order to improve patients’ coping strategies and quality of life. This includes dealing with issues such as shock of diagnosis, adjustment to treatment, facing advanced disease and long-term effects.
To exercise professional responsibility and coordination of caseload including assessment, therapeutic and discharge of patients following therapeutic sessions, communicating with the referrer and others involved in the patient care as required.
To undertake risk assessment and risk management for individual patients, recognising your own skill set and when to escalate/ refer back to the psycho-oncology team if appropriate.
To work as part of a 4-tier model working within a MDT psycho-oncology service supporting the provision of training to non-mental health staff (at Level 1 and Level 2 NICE 2004) and providing supervision support following training.
Maintain patient records that adhere to the department, Trust and professional guidelines specifically protecting the patient’s confidentiality unless negotiated otherwise for the patient’s best interest.
To maintain a high degree of professionalism and work at all times guided by the relevant professional organisation.
- Diploma in counselling or psychotherapy
- Registered with BACP or other recognised counselling professional body e.g. NMC, UKCP, HCPC, BACP
- Accredited with BACP or other recognised counselling professional body e.g. NMC, UKCP, HCPC, BACP
- Completed supervisory training
Experience and knowledge
- Experience working in a therapeutic approach suited to cancer/trauma issues (e.g. existential/person centred/ACT/EMDR)
- Experience of exercising clinical responsibility for patient’s psychological care and treatment as a professionally qualified clinician
- Awareness of psychological issues related to cancer
- Computer literate using Microsoft office, word, power point, email
- Counselling experience in a physical health care setting
- Experience of working therapeutically in a hospital inpatient setting
- Counselling experience working with individuals with long term conditions or life-threatening physical illness
Skills and ability
- Good written and verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to adapt practice to a constantly changing environment and to be able to respond well under pressure
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism in face of organisational stress and to contain and understand the stress of others in the team
- Enthusiasm for working as part of an MDT team
WhereToTalk provides UK Counselling Job Opportunities /Psychotherapy Job Opportunities, Text Therapy, Trainee/Student Placements, The Counselling Online Guide, Counselling Consultations, Gift Cards and Therapy Room Décor for:
LONDON & GREATER LONDON
MIDLANDS (West /East)
NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE / TYNE & WEAR
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE/NOTTS – EAST MIDLANDS
YORKSHIRE (North / South / East / West)