School Counsellor Required: London
Salary: Competitive salary and conditions are offered.
Part Time, Permanent
Start date: January 2022
School Counsellor (Part-Time) required for January 2022
Thomas’s Battersea has an exciting opportunity for an experienced School Counsellor to join our dedicated team. This permanent position is suited for a qualified individual with previous experience in the education sector.
Reporting Line: Deputy Head Pastorals (Prep & Senior School)
Tenure: Permanent; Monday to Wednesday, 24 hours per week
● To carry out one-to-one therapeutic work with children and teenagers, covering a variety of emotional health issues
● To abide by either the BACP or UKCP ethical framework of good practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy
● To work as part of a counselling team
● To liaise with parents where necessary (respecting appropriate confidentiality) to ensure the young person is supported well. For example: discussing parenting techniques or facilitating communication between the young person and their family
● To liaise with teaching and other pastoral staff where necessary to ensure the young person feels supported in school
● To coordinate where appropriate (after discussion with Deputy Head Pastoral) with external parties such as CAMHS, GPs and psychiatrists to ensure the young person’s well-being and safety is protected
● To carry out brief, anonymised session notes; forms provided by Thomas’s
● To adhere to the school’s Safeguarding policy as well as all other policies at all times
● To have Professional Indemnity Insurance
● To have external clinical supervision, as appropriate
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
● Post-graduate qualification in Child counselling or Child & Adolescent psychotherapy, either to Masters or Postgraduate Diploma level (minimum training of 3 years)
● They will also be accredited by the British Psychological Society, the UK Council for Psychotherapy or the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy or equivalent.
● At least 3 years’ post qualification and accreditation.
● Demonstrate a clear track record in working with children and adolescent clients, preferably in a school or institutional setting such as CAMHS.
● A systemic qualification would also be an advantage, although not completely necessary, providing there is evidence of experience in working with families.
● Whilst this is primarily a child and adolescent focused role, experience of working with adults in a therapeutic setting is also necessary, given that our School community also includes staff and parents.
● Therapeutic attributes such as empathy, respect and excellent listening skills.
● Excellent communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with everyone in the school community from the youngest pupil to the most senior member of staff.
● Excellent organisational skills; you will be managing your own diary and appointments, as well as media needs and all other administration tasks.
● The maintenance of appropriate and respectful boundaries and other ethical requirements such as confidentiality, discretion and integrity.
● Confidence in liaising with parents and outside professionals.
● Committed to Thomas’s values and strategic vision.
● Committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake any appropriate training for this role including CPD.
Competitive salary and conditions are offered.
WhereToTalk provides UK Counselling Job Opportunities /Psychotherapy Job Opportunities, Trainee/Student Placements, The Counselling Online Guide, Counselling Consultations, Gift Cards and Therapy Room Décor for:
LONDON & GREATER LONDON
MIDLANDS (West /East)
NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE / TYNE & WEAR
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE/NOTTS – EAST MIDLANDS
YORKSHIRE (North / South / East / West)