Student Counsellor Required: Holburn, London
Recruiter: Pearson College
Job Unposting: Sep 2, 2020
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Customer Service
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2001809
The counsellor will undertake individual assessments and counselling sessions with students and provide guidance and training to other members of staff when required. The post-holder is expected to be registered and accredited/eligible for accreditation with BACP, UKCP, or equivalent professional body.
- Provide efficient, effective and professional assessment and counselling to students; monitor and evaluate this work in line with BACP Ethical Framework.
- Liaise with teaching and other staff to support students experiencing mental health difficulties where appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of good practice across the College and consider ways in which Student Services can be innovative and respond to the changing demands of the student body and the institution.
- Contribute to the development of effective support materials for use by students and staff across the College.
- Maintain appropriate administration systems such as: appropriate records, statistics, service evaluations, day-to-day correspondence; contribute to service reports, as required.
- Apply knowledge of the College structures, systems, policies and procedures to work effectively and to make appropriate internal referrals.
- Staff training and consultancy on mental health policy, well-being related student regulations and associated guidelines
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of workshops and events for students.
- In addition, you will be required to undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required.
Key Working Relationships
- Lead Student Counsellor, Head of Student Services, Student Support Administration Manager, Deans, Programme Directors, other academic staff
- Staff of other departments in the College; including those staff in Technology
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Knowledge and Qualifications Required
- A substantial and recognised qualification in counselling or psychotherapy (Master’s degree or higher)
- BACP Accreditation / UKCP Registration or equivalent (or eligible for application)
- Experience of working with Young People
- Substantial experience of providing short-term counselling
- Experience of carrying out counselling assessments
- Knowledge of how Student Services and Counselling Services can support the College
- Knowledge of the Equality Act, 2010, and its relevance to students in Higher Education
- Knowledge of current Safeguarding Legislation and its application to working with students in HE
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
- IT experience in a Windows environment, including use of databases
- Experience of working in HE or in a large institutional context
- Experience of delivering staff training
- A working knowledge of Higher Education and the current issues and challenges within the sector
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to organise own tasks and activities in a systematic way, juggling work priorities to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality about sensitive issues
- Ability to use own initiative when required and to escalate where appropriate
- Ability to maintain accurate professional records
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal communication, networking and writing skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement of the student experience
- Flexibility to occasionally work outside standard working hours, at peak times
- Ability to design and facilitate workshops and training
- Ability to work innovatively in the development and delivery of services