Student Counsellor Required: London
Birkbeck, University of London is seeking to appoint two 0.8 FTE Student Counsellors to join the Wellbeing Services’ Counselling team, within Registry Services. The successful candidate will work within the multidisciplinary Wellbeing Services, based in our specialist Counselling team. They will primarily develop and deliver short-term, psychodynamic and culturally competent individual and group interventions, risk assessment and response, psychoeducation and outreach initiatives to students who present with emotional and psychological difficulties affecting their educational experience and performance. They will also liaise with external agencies including statutory organisations as required and provide consultation and training for staff across the institution.
They will be expected to lead on improving access to or service engagement amongst under-represented groups such as men, forced migrants, care leavers and students from minority ethnic backgrounds.
We would be particularly interested in hearing from applicants from Black, Asian and other minority ethnic backgrounds.
- Hold a Postgraduate Diploma or Masters in Psychodynamic Counselling/Psychotherapy or Integrative Counselling/Psychotherapy with a strong understanding of the psychodynamic model.
- Have BACP/UKCP accreditation or equivalent.
- Be an experienced clinician that is confident working with complex presentations.
- Have the proven ability to provide effective assessment and psychodynamic short- term counselling. Have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills with proven ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Have experience delivering presentations and outreach activities.
- Offer proven professional experience, flexibility and self-confidence.
- Experience of working in a higher education or other institutional setting is desirable.
- Experience developing and implementing outreach activities to improve inclusion of underrepresented groups.
- An understanding of Team/Organisational Dynamics
- An understanding of the diverse needs of the student population and experience in widening access will be desirable.
- Support Faculty awareness on Student Wellness matters and initiatives
- Successful applicants will be expected to undertake an Enhanced DBS check
Grade 7 of the College’s London Pay Scale which is £39,173 rising to £44,775per annum.
The salary quoted will be pro-rata for this part time post and is on the College’s London Pay Scale which includes a consolidated Weighting/Allowance which applies only to staff whose normal contractual place of work is in the London area.
WhereToTalk provides UK Counselling Job Opportunities /Psychotherapy Job Opportunities, Text Therapy, Trainee/Student Placements, The Counselling Online Guide, Counselling Consultations, Gift Cards and Therapy Room Décor for:
LONDON & GREATER LONDON
MIDLANDS (West /East)
NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE / TYNE & WEAR
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE/NOTTS – EAST MIDLANDS
YORKSHIRE (North / South / East / West)