Refugee and Migrant Support Practitioner: West Midlands
Region: West Midlands
Vacancy type: Permanent
Closing date: 19 June 2019
The Children’s Society has been helping children and young people in this country for over 130 years.
We run local services that support children when they are at their most vulnerable and in desperate need of help.
We’re there for children, every step of the way.
MY-Place is a unique Children’s Society project working primarily with unaccompanied asylum seeking children aged 11-21.
The service offers emotional and social support, activities, and information, advice and guidance.
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and caring individual to join our dynamic and ambitious team.
In order to be successful in this role, you must have:
- A relevant qualification (e.g. Certificate in Youth and Community Work, Social Work Diploma) OR equivalent experience working with young people in a one to one and group setting.
- Strong communication and listening skills with the ability to work with others in a non-judgemental, empathic way that develops trust.
- Energy and enthusiasm to lead a youth club and engage young people in active, creative and positive activities.
- Strong commitment to safeguarding and a robust knowledge of safe practice working with young people and volunteers.
- Sound knowledge and experience of issues affecting young people who are asylum seekers, refugees and new migrants, and the services and support available to them.
- Understanding of mental health and well-being needs among children and young people, and a commitment to holistic and person-centred support
- Experience of managing volunteers