TRAINEE COUNSELLING PLACEMENT
AT GAINSBOROUGH PRIMARY SCHOOL
Gainsborough Primary School is looking to recruit a committed trainee counsellor on a voluntary basis to provide counselling to pupils, term-time only, a minimum of 2 clinical hours.
WHO WE ARE
Gainsborough Primary School is an excellent, 1.5 form entry, inner city, inclusive school in a developing area of East London and also a founding school within EKO Multi Academy Trust. We are committed to support children of all abilities and to provide them with outstanding learning opportunities and experiences.
We believe that schools are on the frontline when it comes to supporting children’s and young people’s mental health and that emotional wellbeing impacts not only on their academic attainment but is strongly linked to good outcomes in life. Therefore we work hard to create a safe and secure environment for both pupils and staff as well as to provide necessary interventions for those with emotional, behavioural and social difficulties. We have a well-established inclusion team with an experienced counsellor onsite and are looking now to expand our therapeutic support.
WHAT DO WE OFFER
We would be offering you the opportunity to improve our pupils’ wellbeing and we will also provide:
- a safe and supportive environment with excellent developmental opportunities of working with children in an educational settings
- a well-structured counselling placement managed by an experienced school counsellor
- an opportunity to gain clinical hours which would count towards completing your course or towards accreditation (however you are advised to check with you your course provider as some courses might allow a limited number of hours with this age group)
- safeguarding training and other in-house training opportunities
- free DBS check
This role would be suitable for someone with genuine wish to support our pupils and wanting to gain experience in providing therapy within a primary school setting.
- We are looking for candidates in a second year or above on diploma/degree/masters counselling or psychotherapy training (endorsed by BACP or other relevant professional bodies); we also welcome qualified counsellors and psychotherapists who are willing to give their time to support our pupils
- You will be a member of BACP or other relevant professional body
- You will have some experience of working with children and basic awareness of child development as well as different and creative ways of communicating with primary school age children
- You will need to arrange own clinical supervision as well as own indemnity insurance
- Currently in or have 1 year experience of personal therapy
- You would have to commit to a minimum of 2 clinical hours a week on Wednesday , Thursday or Friday, term time only; we would expect a commitment of at least 2 academic terms
- You must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including enhanced DBS disclosure.
Please email your application form or any queries you may have to Kasia Stewart – firstname.lastname@example.org
You would also need to attend an interview at Gainsborough Primary School. Please be aware that as a part of our safe recruitment procedures we need to obtain references prior to the interview.